Top navigácia

Temporary Residence

Temporary residence permit entitles the foreigner to reside in Slovakia, to travel abroad and back to Slovakia, for the time he was granted a temporary residence. Temporary residence permit is not required for a foreigner who was issued a certificate of Slovaks living abroad.

Temporary residence permit is always tied to a particular purpose. If a foreigner intends to engage in activities other than he/she had been granted temporary residence for, he/she must submit a new application for temporary residence permit, unless the Foreigners’ Act (this article) states otherwise.

A foreigner who has been granted a temporary residence for the purpose of business, employment, special activities, family reunification or army duties, may study during this temporary residence.

Temporary residence permit may be granted for the first time for max. two years. In the case of an alien applying for temporary residence permit to study, or foreigners with permanent residence in a member state of EU / EEA, may be granted temporary residence for up to 5 years.

Purpose of the Temporary Residence

Temporary residence permit may be granted by a Foreign Police department for the purpose of:

  • business, based on an issued business license,
  • employment, based on work permit, unless an international treaty provides otherwise or the work permit is not required (in case of seasonal employment for a maximum of 180 days per year)
  • study, if the foreigner is a student or is studying at school/university in the Slovak Republic, such a foreigner may also do business or work during the temporary stay (temporary residence permit for study purposes is not required if the foreigner’s stay in the Slovak Republic does not exceed 90 days in one semester)
  • specific activity, if it is not business nor an employment relationship or similar relationship, the special activity means: lecturing, art, sport, internship related to studies outside the Slovak Republic, activities resulting from government programs of Slovakia or from the programs of European Economic Area or from a commitment of the Slovak Republic resulting from international contracts. Temporary residence permit is not required if the foreigner’s stay in Slovakia does not exceed 90 days in one semester
  • family reunification, if the foreigner is:
    1. married to a foreigner with Slovak temporary residence permit or permanent residence permit, if there are at least 18 years,
    2. a child (under 18 years of age) of foreigners with temporary residence permit in Slovakia or of a foreigner (one parent) with temporary residence permit, or his spouse or asylum holder, or of an asylum holder’s spouse who has the child in personal care by law or by decision of the competent authority,
    3. a dependent child over 18 years of age of a foreigner with temporary residence permit,
    4. relative in direct ascending order (parent, grandparent, etc.) of an asylum holder younger than 18 years,
    5. lone parent dependent on foreigner’s who has a temporary residence permit or a foreigner who has a permanent residence permit,
    6. dependent person under an international agreement.

The Police shall grant a permission for temporary residence for the purpose of a specific activity to a foreigner performing scientific research or development for the time required to achieve its goal, but not exceeding 2 years. A foreigner who has been granted temporary residence permit, may enter into an employment or similar employment relationship, where the subject is teaching. Again, the temporary residence permit is not required if the foreigner’s stay in Slovakia does not exceed 90 days in one semester.

The Police department shall grant temporary residence permit for family reunification purpose to a foreigner, who is a child under 18 years of a foreigner with temporary residence permit or his spouse, if the other parent agrees (parent who does not have the child in personal care, but has the right to meet that child).

Application for a Temporary Residence Permit

Application for a temporary residence permit should be made in person abroad at the embassy accredited to the country which issued applicant’s passport, or at the embassy accredited to the country in which he/she resides, unless the Foreigners’ Act provides otherwise (if there is no such embassy, or in special cases the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in agreement with the Ministry of Interior determines another representative office where the foreigner should apply). The embassy, or other authority that receives the application, issues a confirmation of receipt on the date of the application.

A foreigner who is granted a temporary residence permit may apply for change of purpose of the stay at the Police department in Slovakia, unless the purpose of temporary residence permit was:

  • seasonal employment,
  • study, except for foreigners who completed the studies and ask for a temporary residence permit for employment purposes in the field which they studied,
  • family reunification with a foreigner who is or was granted a temporary residence for the purpose of business or employment.

A foreigner who represents or works for a foreign investor in the Slovak Republic and also, is a citizen of a Member State of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), his/her spouse or child under 18 years can apply for a temporary residence permit in person at the Police department in Slovakia.

Documents Needed for Application

First of all, the foreigner should have these documents:

  • the application – given on an official form,
  • valid passport,
  • photo – 3 pieces of the same picture with dimensions 3 x 3.5 cm, showing applicant’s current look

Also, documents that are not older than 90 days and confirm:

  • the purpose of stay, if
    • business:
      1. certificate of incorporation, which will be referred to as a statutory body,
      2. social contract establishing a company in which an alien must be listed as a statutory body,
      3. notarial registration of incorporation,
      4. discretion of the trade office to state the proceedings on the issue of trade license, which indicates that the procedure was suspended because of lack of residence permit, or
      5. other document proving the business under a special regulation (such as a license to carry out private medical practice or private practice attorney).
    • job:
      1. work permit issued by the competent authorities work under the employer’s place of residence, or
      2. registration card citizen of the Czech Republic a certified staff of Bureau of Labor.
    • study: For evidence regarding the purpose of study is considered a confirmation issued by the legal representative of the school. For example, the headteacher or his representative, the Dean or Associate Dean of the Faculty or in the case of lifelong learning and the Ministry of Education.
    • activities under special programs: For the purpose of the document is considered confirmation of the authority having jurisdiction in the implementation of activities under special programs or under an international treaty. For the competent authority is regarded as a state administration, scientific work, research institute or school. Certificate issued by the legal representative must include information that the residence was made on the basis of international treaty or a specific program (eg. the EU Socrates, Erasmus).
    • family reunification:
      1. marriage certificate, if the stay under § 23 par. 1 point. a) Act č.48/2002 Code, as revised,
      2. birth certificate – if the stay under § 23 par. 1 point. b) Act č.48/2002 Code as amended by the amendment if it is a temporary residence permit for an alien who has been entrusted to the care of a child by a competent authority, accompanied by a foreigner except the birth certificate and an official document confirming this fact, or if it is the lone foreigner, certified affidavit that the child who does not care,
      3. in case of a stay under § 23 par. 1 point. b) Act č.48/2002 Code as amended by amendment to submit documents proving:
        • relationship,
        • reside on the territory of Slovakia, to which the foreigner applies immigration and
        • reliance alien care SR citizen or foreigner with permanent residence in Slovakia.

      For evidence to be considered:

      1. evidence on health status alien, stating that health care necessarily requires another person,
      2. alien’s affidavit that his home state who does not provide care.
  • no criminal record for any country that the foreigner has lived in for the last two years, as well as for the country of origin and also for Slovakia,
  • enough financials for living. Financial liability of the foreigner should be shown with the amount equal to the minimum living wage of Slovakia (around 350 euro) for each month of stay (foreigners younger than 16 years at half rate). A foreigner who applies for a temporary residence for the purpose of business, demonstrates financial security of residence of at least five times the minimum wage for each month of stay.
    Documents proving financial security are:

    • employment contract between the foreigner and his employer stating the agreed amount of income, or
    • contract of coach or sports activities among aliens and sports clubs, under an agreed income, or
    • extract from the personal bank account in Slovakia,
    • certified statement of the person providing the family member applying for family reunification material security for the entire duration of the stay order was not a burden on the social security system of the SR, in the case of a residence permit for family reunification,
    • confirmation of the transfer income to the Slovak Republic,
    • if the residence permit for employment purposes and the employer is involved in is covered by housing or other costs, eg. diet is sufficient to prove the amount of wages for the stay agreed with the employer stating that the foreigner pays subsistence
    • the case of a residence permit to study, such a document may be a confirmation of the statutory representative of the entity (eg. Dean, Associate Dean) on securing the funds of at least minimum wage for each month of expected stay, or confirmation of the scholarship award.
  • health insurance for the time of staying in Slovakia and that he/she doesn’t suffer from a disease which threatens public health, within 30 days of entry or granting the temporary residence permit.
  • accommodation during the temporary stay (this does not apply: if the foreigner regularly travels to work or to the school across the border from a neighbouring country, or if the foreigner was granted temporary residence permit for the purpose of study and he/she studies at university, and if the foreigner was granted temporary residence for the purpose of specific activities and he/she is not doing business and is not employed, and conducts scientific research or development).
    Documents proving accommodation:

    • contract with the owner or user of the apartment lease or rental of its parts, or
    • confirmation of accommodation to provide accommodation for temporary stay (accommodation facility may be, for example. hotel, boarding house or hostel), or
    • certified statements from landlord providing accommodation,
  • agreement granted by the police department that a foreigner can reside for family reunification, if it is a child (under 18 years of age) of a foreigner with temporary residence permit or his spouse.

Embassy or Police department may require a document that is not older than 30 days, proving that the foreigner will not be a burden on the social security system of the Slovak Republic.

The Police will decide on applications for temporary residence permit within 90 days, especially in complex cases, this period may be extended up to the 90 days. If the foreigner is applying for temporary residence permit for the purpose of study or specific activity, the police department will decide within 30 days of receipt.

Renewal of the Temporary Residence Permit

The police department may renew a temporary residence permit:

  • up to 180 days if the temporary residence permit for the purpose of seasonal employment granted to less than 18 days and completion of the work requires a stay,
  • up to three years if the foreigner’s stay will be expected to last at least three years, or
  • up to five years if the foreigner will have a long-term stay in Slovakia.

An application for renewal of temporary residence permit is submitted in person on the official form for the police department. The police department issue the claimer with a reciept on a confirmation date of the request . With an application for renewal of a temporary residence for business purposes, a certificate must be added as a proof of paid tax and duty liabilities, premiums for health insurance premiums for social insurance contributions and superannuation, it does not apply for a long-term resident foreigners. If the foreigner is not a tax payer or not liable to pay premiums for health insurance and social insurance premiums this has to be accompanied by a document confirming this fact.

Temporary residence permit is considered as valid until a decision on an application for renewal of temporary residence permit.

A foreigner is obliged in case of the renewal of a temporary residence for the purpose of business to demonstrate that he is capable living of his taxed income from the business, or to support his family, this does not apply if the foreigner’s a long-term resident.

Termination of Temporary Residence Permit

Temporary residence permit shall lapse if:

  • the foreigner does not enter Slovakia within 180 days of the authorization for temporary stay,
  • the foreigner declare his termination on stay to the police in writing,
  • his temporary residence permit has expired,
  • it’s a case of an renvoi sentence,
  • the foreigner was deported by administration law
  • police department decides on the change of purpose of foreigner’s stay (if the foreigner became widow/widower or his marriage was divorced and his continuous temporary residence in the Slovak Republic takes at least three years, or reached the age of majority);
  • foreigner has been granted a permanent residence permit,
  • foreigner has been naturalized for a citizenship of Slovakia or
  • the police department set aside the foreigner’s temporary residence permit.

Revocation of a Temporary Residence

The police department canceled temporary residence permit if:

  • the purpose for which the foreigner was granted temporary residence permit passed over,
  • finds facts that justify a refusal to grant a temporary residence permit,
  • a document certifying the foreigner medical insurance during their stay in the Slovak Republic and the proof that he is not suffering from any disease which threatens public health are not submited,
  • the foreigner without written notification to the police constantly staying abroad for more than 180 days
  • finds that a foreigner married to obtain a residence permit, or
  • foreigner seriously or repeatedly breaks the law of an obligation imposed by this Act.

This does not apply if the consequences of a temporary residence permit were unreasonable, because the abolition of temporary residence permit in particular regard to private and family life of a foreigner were unreasonable.

The police in the decision to revoke the temporary residence gives the foreigner a reasonable determination period to exit, the longest 30 days after the final decision.

36 Responses to Temporary Residence

  1. Marie July 17, 2011 at 9:36 am #

    Can I apply for a Schengen visa and Slovakia temporary residence permit at the same time?

    [Reply] replies:

    Why would you do that, if you get the temporary residence, you don’t need visa.


  2. Marie August 7, 2011 at 9:00 am #

    I am a non-EU citizen and have been recently issued a Schengen visa (type C) valid for a 90 day stay. I will be travelling to Slovakia in a few days. I have also been issued a work permit and would like to submit my application for a Slovakia temp. residence permit for employment before I leave for Slovakia. Is this possible?

    [Reply] replies:

    Sure, the other question is whether you get that temporary residence. But unless there is any problem with your job, you should get it.


  3. Marie August 12, 2011 at 4:41 pm #

    I am a US permanent resident (non-EU citizen) I will be in Slovakia for the next 90 days, on a Schengen C visa but have been offered a job in Bratislava. Can I submit my application for a Temp. residence permit at the Slovakia embassy in Vienna or other embassy nearby?

    [Reply] replies:

    No, only at the embassy in USA or at the embassy of your passport country.


  4. Ankush August 24, 2011 at 12:40 pm #

    Hi, I am interested in studying & working simultaneously in slovakia. Is that possible?

    [Reply] replies:



  5. Harsh Goenka August 31, 2011 at 6:53 am #

    I am an Indian national applying for a temporary residence permit for Slovakia. I know that it is required of me to register with the police in Slovakia within 3 days of my arrival to Slovakia. However, I wanted to ask if it would be possible to first visit Poland for a week to visit my friend, and then arrive to Slovakia on the basis of the long term visa issued to me by Slovakia. Thus, I intend to register with police within 3 days of arrival to Slovak territory, however will be unable to register with the Slovak Police within 3 days of arrival into Schengen territory. Please advice, as it will help me plan my travel.

    [Reply] replies:

    I guess, yes, but contact the foreign police to be sure.


  6. John Sofranko August 31, 2011 at 2:00 pm #

    I am an American of Slovak descent. My wife and I are retired. For some time I have considered living in Slovakia for part of the year and returning. Would it be better to do this as a Temporary resident or as a Permanent resident since there will be multiple entries and exits?

    [Reply] replies:

    I guess it depends on how much from the year you want to stay in Slovakia. If about a half or more, I would prefer permanent residence. The exits does not matter, you can enter Slovakia as many times as you want either you have permanent or temporary residence.


  7. Eric September 19, 2011 at 10:49 pm #

    I am a US citizen and my wife is a Slovak citizen and my family resides in Slovakia I have a felony record for a financial crime. What are the chances of getting a temporary residence in Slovakia under family reunion. While being there I will work as a English Teacher or tutor.

    [Reply] replies:

    That I cannot even guess, sorry. Try it and you’ll see.


  8. Terry September 21, 2011 at 12:10 am #

    Hi, I am an Australian resident looking to move my business to Slovakia next year. Is there restrictions on the type of business I can have when applying for a temporary Residence Visa? I do printing and will have an online website. Is 2 years difficult to get or better for 12 months initially? Thanks kindly.

    [Reply] replies:

    There are only general business restrictions defined by the Slovak law which hold for everyone. No special restrictions for temporary residence applications. Printing should be just OK. 2 vs. 1 year depends on whether you can prove that you will do business in Slovakia in long term.


  9. Muhammad H Khan September 23, 2011 at 12:28 pm #

    I am a residence of Pakistan and want to apply for the temporary work permit on work or study basis. Embassy of Solovakia is not present in Pakistan, it belongs to Iran.
    My Question is, If I want to apply for visa where I’ll submit documents? Is there any arranged facility to submit documents in Pakistan or I have to go Iran for submitting documents?
    Is there any specific format on which an employer will issue work permit? If Yes please provide me on


    [Reply] replies:

    You have to apply in person in Iran. But contact them beforehand, so you will have all the documents you need.


  10. Santosh October 16, 2011 at 11:09 am #

    I am a citizen of Nepal married to a slovak citizen. We both live in Cyprus.
    I have my Resident Card from Cyprus. We often visit Slovakia to see our families.
    Everytime we visit Slovakia, they make trouble to me at airport regarding my visa.
    They say that my Resident card is strange. They ask for my Family Member Card which I don’t have.
    Cyprus government doesnt issue any special family member card for anyone.
    I was wondering If I should be applying for the Family Member Card in the Embassy of Slovakia and if I am illegible for it.
    I have enough of this airport authority discrimination.
    Please advice.

    [Reply] replies:

    You should, its the EEA family member card.


  11. linux October 16, 2011 at 11:16 am #

    I am an Indian citizen and my wife is Slovakian.
    We both live in Cyprus for the past 4 years.
    We were just wondering If I am illegible to apply for the family member card of Slovakia while I stay in Cyprus.
    We dont want to move from Cyprus.
    Could you please help us regarding this matter?

    [Reply] replies:

    Yes, you are, no matter where you live.


  12. kaleem October 21, 2011 at 6:34 am #

    I am non EU person if want to apply schengen visa on base of having trade license from Slovakian commerical register and then after reaching Slovakia see business opportunities and need to learn slovakian or other language in order to do business activities in EU , do I need to apply TR for studies ( 6 months)in Slovakia ? Is there any restriction in Slovakia on Non EU person to apply another TR while stay on schengen visa ?
    What if I complete 6 months course in early period , then can I apply for change of TR status from studies to business by having already registered compnay in Slovakia?

    [Reply] replies:

    Every temporary residence is bound to one particular purpose of stay. If you want to change it, you need to apply for another temporary residence. But with study purpose permit you can do business or work as well.


  13. Marie November 9, 2011 at 4:52 am #

    I am a non EU citizen and was recently issued a Slovakia residence permit. I expected that the permit would be a sticker placed in my assport but instead it is like an id card. No stamp on my passport. Is this a new procedure? Would apprecate clarification.


    braian replies:

    Soot MRS Marie , i have a question for you how long it takes to get the temporary residence permit to you.

    Thank You


  14. adri December 20, 2011 at 1:19 pm #

    Hi,How can my son get temporary resident. He is married 2 Slovakian lady and his child is 3yrs old. He only gets visa for visiting 3mths per year. Is there any chance to get working permit while staying with his wife and child. How long can he stay and work in Slovakia? How long does it take and where do he apply for above mentioned questions! Pls he have to reunite and live with his family.

    Thank you

    [Reply] replies:

    Everything is written above in the article, pls, read it carefully.


  15. Ervi March 8, 2012 at 8:54 am #

    My temporary residence permit has expired, I have applied for a new one and received a confirmation from Police that I applied for renewal, but meanwhile I have to travel to Germany for work. Can I do it without valid temporary residence permit in my passport – I just have old permit in passport and the claimer from Police that I applied for renewal.

    [Reply] replies:

    I am not sure, but you don’t need your passport for travelling to Germany anyway. To be sure, ask the police.


  16. Valerie March 12, 2012 at 4:01 pm #

    We are US citizens who wish to live in Slovakia for the humanitarian purpose of charity or missionary work in the Roma community. Does this fit in the purpose of stay as “activities under special program” and if so what documents would we need to present? Is a letter of invitation required?

    [Reply] replies:

    That I don’t know, pls contact the Slovak embassy in USA and ask them.


  17. Axel March 23, 2012 at 10:52 pm #

    I have applied for renewal of my temporary residence permit. Will I be allowed to travel outside of Slovakia and return with my expired residence permit while decision on the renewal is still pending?

    [Reply] replies:

    No, you have to have a valid residence permit.


  18. Axel April 27, 2012 at 10:31 pm #

    How long is the processing time for renewal of an employment based (work permit) temporary residence permit?


  19. Bogdan August 10, 2012 at 2:19 pm #

    I’m a EU citizen, self employed in my contry and I would like to move and to leave to Slovakia.
    What do I need besides the health insurance and accomodation for the police to issue a residence permit?
    What do I have to do to be able to live in Slovakia?

    Thank you,



Leave a Reply

Contact: info(at)