Slovakia’s employment market is relatively small and the unemployment rate belongs to the higher ones in European Union. And still, Slovakia can offer a lot of interesting job opportunities for foreigners.
Work Permit for Slovakia
The work permit is granted for a maximum period of 2 years. For seasonal work it is maximum of 6 months – there has to be a break between two jobs of at least 6 months.
The work permit is not transferable. This means that it can only be granted for a job with a particular employer and that is also binding as regards the type of work and place of work. If you want to change employers, you must submit a new application.
The work permit is granted by the Office of Labour, Social Affairs and Family, with a local competence in the future place of work. The statutory deadline for consideration of application for employment is 30 days.
An application for work permit must be submitted to the competent Labour Office. Application form for a work permit can be downloaded here (PDF).
An application for work permit is always accompanied with an evidence of level of education. Labour Office does not require a medical certificate. But if it is a profession where such evidence is required by law, ask for it from the future employer.
If a foreigner does not enter into employment, or if his employment ends before the expiry of the period specified in the permit, the employer is obliged to report that fact within 7 working days to the competent authority.
Work Permit may be extended – even repeatedly – but always for a maximum period of 2 years. Request for extension of employment permit shall be filed no later than 30 days before the expiry. A request for an extension of work permit is employer’s statement that it will continue to employ the foreigner. Condition for renewal of authorization to work is that the employee will work with the same employer.
If a foreigner wishes to engage with another employer, he/she must submit a new application for a work permit.
The authorization for employment in Slovakia expires, if:
- The period for which it was granted expires.
- The employment ends before the end of the period for which it was granted.
- The residence permit expires.
- Asylum seeker looses the right to work in Slovakia, because the asylum procedure ended.
Labour Office, which granted the work permit, can cancel the work permit, if:
- The foreigner violates the generally binding legal regulations.
- The foreigner does not enter into employment, for which he/she has been granted.
Citizens of European Union have free, unrestricted entry to Slovakia and after Slovakia joined EU, it did not apply any transitional period, so EU citizens do not need any work permit. The necessary administration that an employee (citizen of EU) needs, is carried out by the Slovak employer.
More specifically, the Slovak employer should:
- Sign up the employee to the Labour, Social Affairs and Family office within 7 days.
- Sign up to employee to the Social Insurance before the start of the work.
- Sign up the employee to the Health Insurance system within 8 days.
- Sign off the employee from all the offices after finishing the working process.
EU citizens are not required to have a work permit to be employed in Slovakia, however they are required to have a confirmation of permanent residency for tax purposes. Necessary confirmation can be obtained from the Slovak Foreign Police.
- 2 passport-style photographs
- Notarized lease agreement or proof of home-ownership
Employee who is not a citizen of EU member country needs a work permit from Labour, Social Affairs and Family office and residence permit from the Foreign Police.
All the Non-EU citizens who decided to work, study, teach, or do businesses in Slovakia must apply for a temporary residence permit. It is possible to get the necessary documents on a Slovak Embassy or Consulate General abroad. The temporary residence permit allows non-EU citizens to stay in Slovakia for a period of more than 90 days for business and/or educational purposes. It is issued for one year and then it can be renewed.
- 2 passport-style photographs
- Typed application form in Slovak language
- Document certifying reason for request (for business, employment, schooling etc.)
- Criminal background check (Slovak and home country)
- Medical certificate stating applicant is free of contagious disease
- Proof of funds (varies, check with Slovak Consulate for specifics)
- Proof of medical insurance
- Proof of housing (signed lease agreement or ownership deed etc.)
A foreigner should apply for the work permit first and then for the residence permit.
Finding a Job in Slovakia
If you are looking for a job in Slovakia:
- Try searching on Profesia.sk, the larget job directory in Slovakia.
- Use Career Jet – Slovak job search engine. In one simple search, it gives job seekers access to a huge selection of jobs that are sourced from various internet sites, saving the trouble of having to visit each site individually.
- Or contact one of the personnel agencies below.
DK Recruitment Services
DK Recruitment Services is a recruitment agency offering full-time and part-time jobs within the European Union. They are focused mainly on the UK, Scotland, Ireland and Holland based jobs, but other coutries are available too. They offer a wide range of jobs in Slovakia thanks to cooperation with many employers and business partners within the EU.
- Francisciho 1, 979 01 Rimavská Sobota
- Púpavová 3048/6, 979 01 Rimavská Sobota
Adecco is operating in the Czech Republic since 1992 and since 2002 also in Slovakia. They have 24 branches and on-site workstations for clients in the Czech Republic and Slovakia and the number of offices is constantly growing.
Offices in Slovakia:
- Zámocká 1, 901 01 Malacky
- Vajanského 40, 917 01, Trnava
- Čsl. Armády 79, 915 01 Nové Mesto nad Váhom
- Daniela Dlabača 775/33, 010 01 Žilina
- Ul. Dúbravca 3, 036 01 Martin
- Košická 2/D, 080 01 Prešov
- Ul. 1. mája 236, 058 01 Poprad
- Mäsiarska 64, 040 01 Košice
Index Nosluš helps you to find solutions to all personnel problems. They offer a complex spectrum of labor force resources of potential employees who are searching for simple, short-term jobs or temporary contracts, to the more high-profile candidates with a certain degree of expertise who are searching for full-time employment.
- Drieňová 34, 821 02 Bratislava
- Šustekova 2, 851 04 Bratislava
- Staré Grunty 53, 841 04 Bratislava
- Radlinského 9, 811 07 Bratislava
- Paulínska 20, 917 01 Trnava
- Holubyho 37, 902 01 Pezinok
- Nám. Sv. Egídia 60, 058 01 Poprad
- Zámocká 8, 901 01 Malacky
- Horná 26, 974 01 Banská Bystrica
- Duchnovičovo nám. 1, 080 01 Prešov
- Hlavná 68, 040 01 Košice
- Palackého 6403, 911 01 Trenčín
- Štúrova 17, 031 80 Liptovský Mikuláš
- J. M. Hurbana 30, 010 01 Žilina
- Záhradnícka 10, 945 01 Komárno
- Farská 46, 949 01 Nitra
- Šafárikova 1527/47, 924 01 Galanta
ManPower is working with any job offers, from a financial director to a call center operator, administrative or production, temporary or permanent, accountants or IT specialists. Simply they fill out any position.
- Štúrova 27, 040 01 Košice
- Lazaretská 8, 811 08 Bratislava
- Horný Val 12, 010 01 Žilina
Trenkwalder offers an online search for free job positions in Slovakia.
- Nám. 1. mája 18, 811 06 Bratislava
- Nám. Štefana Moysesa 17, 974 01 Banská Bystrica
- Rozmarínová 6, 911 01 Trenčín
- Hlavná 44, 080 01 Prešov
- Sládkovičova 6, 010 01 Žilina
- Mostná 60, 949 01 Nitra
- Hlavná 34, 040 01 Košice
More Personnel Agencies
- Czechoslovak Personnel – Trenčianska 47
- Active Personnel Solutions – Kutlíkova 17
- Adams Richards Consulting – Zochova 5
- Arthur Hunt – Obchodná 24
- Business Development – Gajova 4
- CPL Jobs – Vysoká 14
- CRIT – Štefánikova 14
- Drill B.S. – Grosslingová 51
- Exact Recruitment – Špitálska 27/A
- Globium – Prievozská 14
- Grafton Recruitment Slovakia – Obchodná 2
- Hofírek Consulting – Panská 9
- Human Resources Consulting – Na Hrebienku 32
- Personnel Agency – Bajkalská 25
- Selecta – Personal agency – Ružová dolina 6
- Sofisol – Zámocká 12
- Solomon Jordan – Ružinovská 1
- Sumatra – Pluhová 2
- Williams & Partner Slovakia – Klariská 14
- Espor Personnel Consulting – Bernolákova 14 A
- Greenhill consulting – Švermova 53
- Trigon Consulting – Lazovná 69
- Euro Job – Kováčska 48
- Job Service – TR.SNP 83
- Luto – Gudernova 3
- MA2R – Gorkého 8
- Person – Kováčska 40
- Super Job – Hroncová 15